Vacancy: Road Design Engineer , United Nations
(Open to Nationals and candidates with Kenya residency)
Background Information – Job-specific
General Background of Project/Assignment:The Somali Urban Investment Planning Project (SUIPP), financed by the World Bank managed Somali Multi-Partner Fund (MPF), is supporting the preparation of Feasibility Studies (FS) and Detailed Engineering Designs (DED) for urban roads across two cities of Somalia (Kismayo and Baidoa). The Project is currently under preparation for carrying out FS and DED for 30km of urban roads in Kismayo and 20km of urban roads in Baidoa. The FS and DEDs are soon to be undertaken by UNOPS. The civil works for the above infrastructure will be implemented in the proposed follow on Somali Urban Resilience Project (SURP).
The position of Road Design Engineer encompasses the following major functions:
(i) Supports Project Manager in implementation of the Detailed Design work activities for the Project to ensure they are implemented in a timely manner and within budget;
(ii) Investigation and detailed design of urban roads including the associated drainage system, footpaths, street lighting, intersections and any other details required for a complete design for the Project;
(iii) Supports the Project Manager in Management of the preparation of Bid Documents for the follow on construction;
(iv) Project Administration responsibilities;
(v) Maintain ongoing stakeholder liaison to ensure relevant stakeholder partners are fully and timely informed of and in agreement with the project activities.
Duties and Responsibilities for the Road design Engineer
The duties and responsibilities for the position are as follows:
- Under the guidance of the Project Manager, the Road Design Engineer will manage the project activities for the detailed design for a total of 50km of urban roads in Kismayo (30km) and Baidoa (20km) to the agreed standards and schedule;
- In consultation with the client and project stakeholders develop the technical specifications and standards for each location and coordinate project team members for data collection and design input;
- Perform the preliminary design, detail design, preparation of specifications, design documentations and maintenance plans and supervise the team members to ensure product quality to the highest standard;
- Supports the Project Manager, in management of day to day operations associated with the design work, management, implementation and coordination;
- Maintain a good relationship with stakeholders throughout the project implementation phase
i. Investigation and detailed design of urban roads
a) Review feasibility study scope of works in liaison with the Project Manager that will also be implemented at the same time as detailed design work taking into consideration the existing Infrastructure and transport policies and priorities, and the relevant communities and stakeholders concerns;
b) Under the guidance of the Project Manager and in consultation with the client and project stakeholders investigate and prepare the design standards and specifications required to implement the design component and assist the Project Manager to obtain necessary approvals for the agreed standards application;
c) Under the guidance of the Project Manager, the Road Design Engineer coordinates and supervises the overall design including, culverts, intersections and crossings, drainage systems, footpaths, street lighting and other works;
e) Design and development of roads maintenance systems (O&M Plan) through a consultative process engaging key stakeholders;
f) Ensure accurate identification of targeted beneficiaries and their input to the design.
ii. Support in Management of the preparation of Bid Documents.
a) Prepare technical specifications, drawings, bills of quantities and engineers estimate;
b) Design quality control systems and monitoring procedures for works implementation;
c) Under the guidance of the Project Manager respond to technical queries from the Municipalities on tender documents, participate in site visits and pre-bid meetings and maintain records;
iii. Project Administration responsibilities
a) Assist the Project Manager to manage all Engineering and contractual activities related to the Detailed Design phase;
b) Certification of the design works, variations and contractor’s contract relating to monthly progress claims
c) Evaluate feedback from clients and partners to improve project implementation
d) Coordinate and supervise training activities that may be implemented for capacity building of the Municipalities;
e) Maintain ongoing stakeholder liaison to ensure relevant stakeholder partners are fully and timely informed of and in agreement with the project activities
f) Work with World Bank and key stakeholders to ensure awareness of the progress of the Project in liaison with the Project Manager;
g) Develop effective information, education and communication (IEC) materials for public awareness of the Project in liaison with the Project Manager;
h) Participate in the Municipalities and World Bank progress meetings;
iv. Most challenging duties typically undertaken:
a) Engaging with the Somali Government stakeholders and minimising political interference;
b) The urban roads project for Kismayo and Baidoa is perhaps one of the most highly political component currently for the World Bank in development of Somalia, largely because of the high interest form the Government and Donor community during ongoing discussion in the Infrastructure Practice Working groups (IPWG) and the possibility of future funding;
c) The position is to work alongside the UNOPS Feasibility Study project team headed by the UNOPS Project Manager to ensure that synergies are identified and strengthened to ensure maximum benefits across both project components are fully realized;
d) Given the project will only focus on about 8 roads in each Municipality for Kismayo and Baidoa, as opposed to need for developing most of the roads in each town, the duties will involve facilitating and managing relationship between government stakeholders and non-government stakeholders as to why only 8 roads are covered under the project. This is a key challenge for the position to ensure that communities around the selected road understand the prioritization process and that it was not influenced by political relationships and to ensure the purpose of the project is successfully achieved.
e) Diversity of tasks requiring a range of different skills and flexibility to be able to implement the project within the World Bank specified time frame of 6 months.**
Detailed engineering drawings 30km for Kismayo and 20km for Baidoa for construction, bid documents, BOQ, Engineers Estimate road maintenance plans and capacity Building support to the Municipalities.
- Master’s degree in civil engineering or related discipline is required.
- A bachelor degree in civil engineering or related discipline with an additional two years of relevant experience may be considered in lieu of the education requirements outlined above.
- Minimum of Master’s degree with 5 years of experience in urban road design; or bachelor’s degree with 7 years experience in urban road design is required.
- Skills in Supervisory, Infrastructure engineering design and transportation- roads are required.
- Experience in managing a multi-disciplinary design team is required.
- Experience in preparation of tender documents related to urban road construction or rehabilitation works is desirable.
- Ability to effectively engage with stakeholder groups involving Somalia government institutions, donors, beneficiary groups is desirable.
- Past experience in Africa and/or in a developing country and /or post conflict context is desirable.
- Full working knowledge of English is essential.
- Strategic Perspective: Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.
- Integrity and Inclusion: Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Leading Self and Others: Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Partnering: Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Results Orientation: Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Agility: Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Solution Focused: Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Effective Communication: Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- Contract type: Local Individual Contract Agreement
- Contract level: LICA Specialist 10
- Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Click below link to apply for the position